Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hail to the Chief: the US Gets a New President

On Tuesday January 20 the long wait ended and the 44th President of the United States was sworn in. I watched some of the inauguration ceremony on TV at home (I was off work that day). It was interesting to watch the inauguration ceremony and to see how much pomp and ceremony goes into it (a lot!). Some people have asked me what I think about the new President, me being from another country and looking at things "from the outside in". I usually like to avoid the topic of politics because I prefer to keep my political views to myself, so I won't publish my opinions here. Most Americans I have spoken to about the new presidency see it as a positive thing and they are optimistic that Obama will be a good leader and will do a lot of good for the country. He is entering the office in a very difficult time so we will see how it goes as he and America face the challenges ahead of them this year.

No comments: